From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Zemuly@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 10:49 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Article from Natchez "Naturalist Newsletter"

I received the following article from our Experiment Station
horticulturist.
 Thought you all would find it interesting.
zem
zone 7
West TN

NEATNESS AS ABOMINATION
A fellow in the vicinity has been busy this week  bulldozing the trees and
bushes from a ditch running across his large, flat,  grassy field. Someone
remarked to me how wonderful it is that "things are  getting cleaned up
around
here, really looking neat now."

Let it be known  that when it comes to neatening up the landscape for
neatness' sake, what I see  is habitat destruction, and there's nothing neat
about it.

Above I use  the word "abomination" advisedly. I am aware of the word's
religious  connotations, for many of us never see that word except in the
Bible,
where many  things are classed as "abominations before the Lord." I use the
word
not in a  religious context, but in a spiritual one, and in my opinion the
destruction of  life-giving habitat purely for the sake of appealing to the
local community's  concept of "neatness" is abomination before the spirit of
the
Creator.

For, when you look into the Universe and at the web of life on  our little
Earth, you see plainly that the Creator blossoms diversity out of
nothingness,
evolves sophistication out of awkwardness, and leaves strands of
interdependency among all things. Whatever in
spirit goes against this grand  and beautiful theme of the Creator is
"abomination."

The bushes and trees  along that little ditch across the field provided a
tiny island of habitat for a  gorgeous diversity of living beings. A
thriving
local ecosystem of mutually  dependent living things existed in an ocean of
ecologically unstable monoculture  grass. It was a polyphonic song sung in a

desert. And its destruction for the  sake of neatening up the
landscape is an  abomination.

http://www.hort.net/funds/