Re: Katrina cont > today

There's growing outrage afoot. Early this AM, CNN rebroadcast a radio interview with the NOLa mayor. Very strong words for His Excellency. CNN, of course, has been giving the disaster wall-to-wall coverage--not just NOLa, but the whole Gulf Coast. What has become clear is the near total disarray and ineptness of the Federal response, and the fact that the levee breaks could have been prevented at less cost than Haliburton been accused of over-charging the military in Iraq.

On Sep 1, 2005, at 9:12 PM, David Franzman wrote:

Kitty, THIS IS A NATIONAL DISGRACE! To think the wealthiest country on earth has bungled this so badly. WHERE IS THE LEADERSHIP???

I am not a Bush basher in general but this is overwhelming!

David
http://www.atouchofthetropics.net
----- Original Message ----- From: "kmrsy" <kmrsy@netzero.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2005 6:23 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Katrina cont > today

David, Jim alluded to this earlier and said the NG is not enough; I replied,
but at that time I was still at work. Since then I came home, took a quiet
stroll around my comfortable dry garden with my cats and then sat down when
the 6:30 Natl news came on. I was astounded at what I saw on NBC. CBS and
ABC made mention, but NBC was very demanding about the circumstances - even
got the FEMA director on and fired questions at him point by point....all of
which he dodged with a lot of blather. He said he just found out today that
people were at the convention center and that they were working on getting
food and water to them. Pushed for a timetable by NBC, he would not commit.

Some of the people at the convention center were unbearably desperate.
Babies barely able to wake up, diabetics in need of insulin, children and
elderly dying of dehydration. WHERE THE HECK IS THE HELP? They showed NG
and police vehicles driving through, but offering no help. One man, crying
said he had swum with his 2 dogs for 8 hrs; boats passed him and refused to
pick him up. People trapped on downtown rooftops wondering where the help
is. They've seen no one and no respite.

While I was at work and pretty much unaware of what others were following on
TV, I didn't realize how bad it is and it will be even worse if this admin
doesn't get off its collective a**. NBC mentioned that 20 countries have
made offers of food, money, generators, you name it, but the administration
has accepted NONE of it because they are busy thinking it over trying to
decide what they need most. Supposedly our govt is making money available
for relief efforts but they can't release it until this weekend after
congress members can get back and vote on it. Oh for CRYIN OUT LOUD. People
are dying out there and we have to go through channels.

Kitty
neIN, Z5
----- Original Message ----- From: "David Franzman" <dfranzma@pacbell.net>