Re: katrina aftermath

I would disagree, Daryl. "Infrastructure"is mostly pork barrel. Problem is we don't get levees and bridges any more; we get golf courses, tank town airports, and interstate on ramps.

On Sep 2, 2005, at 4:59 PM, Daryl wrote:

David,

Our infrastructure has been badly neglected through many administrations and
many eras, including the Dot-Com boom of the last decade. Infrastructure is
just not sexy, and it doesn't get the votes that hand-outs do.

From: "David Franzman" <dfranzma@pacbell.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2005 4:10 PM
Subject: [CHAT] katrina aftermath

Hi Cathy and all

I agree with you Cathy! The logistics of rescuing all of those folks is
daunting. I also agree that we live where we do regardless of the risks.
We choose to live there even though we know something horrible can happen.
On the other hand virtually every part of the country is in one kind of
risk
zone or another. I live in earthquake country. If you live in the
northwest they live next to volcanoes. The south has hurricanes and the
Midwest tornadoes. The east has it's issues. So really there are few
places that one can go that has a zero chance of some kind of natural
disaster. The only thing we can do is try and be as prepared as our
economy
will allow.

Which leads us to this point: What is happening in New Orleans is an
interesting example of what happens when we ignore our infrastructure. We
are concurrently fighting two foreign wars, cut taxes that primarily
benefits the wealthiest 10% of the population and exporting good jobs
oversees to make investors happy. New Orleans is a taste of the result of
this negligence. Our roads are crumbling, bridges dangerous, levees
dissolving not to mention a school system that is overcrowded and begging
for money and a health care system that is on life support.

Our infrastructure (including schools, hospitals etc) is what made this
country the economic powerhouse that it is/was. Yet we have been ignoring
it for several administrations and has been accelerated over the last few
years. In my opinion we can't continue this and remain a world power. We
have to stop this excuse that making a few ultra rich individuals even
richer or multi-national corporations (who by the way have no allegiance
any nation) even more powerful is somehow good economic policy. They are
jeopardizing our health, future and ability to make a decent living for
our
families. We are being sold a bill of goods that these policies are good
for the country. It's a lie! Next time you shop at a Wal-Mart remember
that those goods you purchased were made by Chinese workers making pennies
day and ask yourself how many businesses have had to shut down because of
these superstores. Under the Reagan Administration we first heard of the
term "Me Generation!" It's past time that we turn the "M" upside down and
consider what we have to do to make this a better country not just for the
10% but for all of us.

As far as the response to this disaster, you are right Cathy this is an
unbelievable logistic nightmare. However, there were many things that
could
have and should have been done immediately.  Things like airlifting in
supplies, including water, food, troops etc.  That's what the National
Guard
is for. Why did it take five days for those things to begin on a federal
level? We should have had helicopters going over with loudspeakers
reassuring people that help was on the way. Instead we got the same deer
in
the headlights look that we saw in 2001. Now today, we see the President
going around at the same time as we see troops going to the rescue. This
action should have begun days ago. The task is daunting but with the
proper
response initially those in power could have alleviated much of the
uncertainty, fear and hopelessness.  Lets pray that they now grasp the
magnitude of the disaster.

David.
http://www.atouchofthetropics.net

Island Jim