Re: OT: I swear I'm going to run away to a deserted island

How awful for you, Theresa! I know from personal experience just how violated one feels after a burglary, but I have no idea how bad it must be to experience the results of theft following the death of a loved one. I am so sorry this has happened to you.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Theresa" <tchessie1@sbcglobal.net>
To: "GardenChat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2005 9:58 PM
Subject: [CHAT] OT: I swear I'm going to run away to a deserted island

So- this will be a rant, so anyone who doesn't have time or energy, press delete now.

My husband and I drove up to clear out more of my deceased father's house, pack more things, etc. Got there and after about a hour I realized stuff was missing. Like the grandfather clock he build by hand...other clock movements/parts, sleeping bag, who knows how many tools from the garage are also missing. I was so upset, I was just in shock. How horrible of a person do you have to be to steal stuff from a dead person's home, while the ashes ("cremains") are still there in the house! Just the yuckiest sort of feeling for us in the house, felt so bad about the entire thing and freaked out. Worse, I think it may have been a friend of the woman who is renting the "in-law" suite and has been since February. Called the police, they came out and took a statement and description of some of the missing items (which I'm sure are long gone and I won't see again), as the day progressed realized more and more stuff was missing, realized the the renter's friend Bill's story was conflictory. Clearly they had plenty of time, as things were hand-picked and unusual choice of stuff not to steal (like they left the tv's, stereo and computer). Got madder and madder- I think I've used all the adenaline up in my body. The creeps had stashed some of the tools in the garage into the trash can and trunk, clearly to come back and get more loot later. Also, we looked into an an old storage shed need the street, and found more stuff they had moved up there and stored to get later too. We moved everything back into the garage- that should at least frustrate someone. (I guess I will extract what little vengence I can at this time). We replaced locks on everything in the house and garage, barred the windows, unplugged the garage door opener and then slid the garage door lock over and put a heavy-duty lock on it too. I'm going to make it as annoying as possible for whomever to come back for more.
Now I'm just really tired and feel really sad.