From: kmrsy [mailto: kmrsy@netzero.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 20:23:28 -0500
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Katrina cont > today

David, Jim alluded to this earlier and said the NG is not enough; I
replied,<br>but at that time I was still at work. Since then I came
home, took a quiet<br>stroll around my comfortable dry garden with my
cats and then sat down when<br>the 6:30 Natl news came on. I was
astounded at what I saw on NBC. CBS and<br>ABC made mention, but NBC was
very demanding about the circumstances - even<br>got the FEMA director
on and fired questions at him point by point....all of<br>which he
dodged with a lot of blather. He said he just found out today
that<br>people were at the convention center and that they were working
on getting<br>food and water to them. Pushed for a timetable by NBC, he
would not commit.<br><br>Some of the people at the convention center
were unbearably desperate.<br>Babies barely able to wake up, diabetics
in need of insulin, children and<br>elderly dying of dehydration. WHERE
THE HECK IS THE HELP? They showed NG<br>and police vehicles driving
through, but

offering no help. One man, crying<br>said he had swum with his 2 dogs
for 8 hrs; boats passed him and refused to<br>pick him up. People
trapped on downtown rooftops wondering where the help<br>is. They've
seen no one and no respite.<br><br>While I was at work and pretty much
unaware of what others were following on<br>TV, I didn't realize how bad
it is and it will be even worse if this admin<br>doesn't get off its
collective a**. NBC mentioned that 20 countries have<br>made offers of
food, money, generators, you name it, but the administration<br>has
accepted NONE of it because they are busy thinking it over trying
to<br>decide what they need most. Supposedly our govt is making money
available<br>for relief efforts but they can't release it until this
weekend after<br>congress members can get back and vote on it. Oh for
CRYIN OUT LOUD. People<br>are dying out there and we have to go through

<gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2005 7:14
folks see the thousands stranded at the convention center? Nobody<br>>
had gotten to them yet...we're talking thousands of people. They
are<br>> dropping dead on the sidewalk. No water, no food no FEMA. How
difficult<br>is<br>> it to set up a mobile kitchen and start to feed
folks? They can feed<br>> thousands of soldiers in an airlift why can't
they do it here? They<br>should<br>> have done it three days
ago.<br>><br>> There are towns in Mississippi that haven't seen anything
of a federal<br>> presence. Where are they? It has been days. I think
that the<br>> Administration has really blown this. They tried to take a
back seat to<br>> state and local governments somehow not understanding
that those entities<br>> are completely overwhelmed. This has to be a
national effort. Why

don't<br>> they get that? The leadership must come from the top. Enough
of the<br>> platitudes they are days late already and each day more

----- Original Message ----- <br>> From: "james singer"
<islandjim1@verizon.net><br>> To: <gardenchat@hort.net><br>> Sent:
Thursday, September 01, 2005 4:00 PM<br>> Subject: Re: [CHAT] Katrina
hungry, thirsty, and<br>> > disenfranchised, "sending in National Guard
troops" doesn't quite cut<br>it.<br>> > National Guard troops are what
the Fox News thumb suckers say they need.<br>> > What the folks really
need is help. Real help. Food, water, and a way<br>out<br>> > of that
mess. Now. Not when Haliburton gets a contract. Now. Now. Now.<br>>

are sending in National Guard troops, Jim, but it's a shame
instead of here where we need<br>> >> them. We are just spread soooooooo
Original Message -----<br>> >> From: "james singer"
<islandjim1@verizon.net><br>> >> To: <gardenchat@hort.net><br>> >> Sent:
Thursday, September 01, 2005 12:56 PM<br>> >> Subject: Re: [CHAT]
unfolding in NOLa today is mind-blowing. Dead bodies<br>> >>> piling up
in the streets, tens of thousands of people isolated without<br>> >>>
food and water, the mayor sending out a national SOS--while his<br>> >>>
excellency and his bureaucrats tug at their underwear and keep

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com