Re: What a week!

At least you still have your sense of humor. Sometimes mine is the only thing that gets me through.
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 4:45 PM
Subject: [CHAT] What a week!

For those that were following the roofing saga, good news! We finally have a
new roof, with a 20 year guarantee an a 5 year guarantee on leaks. Yeah! In
the bad news department, the roof deck was in worse shape than we/he had
thought, so it cost a bunch more than we were prepared for. In the good news
department, I had given the roofer a bunch of plants so he gave us a good
price (considering the cost of shingles and all). And he was close-by (saved
a bunch on gas), so he showed up a couple of weeks early,

In other news, my ancient computer hard drive started clicking ominously on
Wednesday morning and wouldn't boot into Windows so I ran into Sam's Club
and snagged a Compaq. I've spent the better part of 3 days transferring
necessary files and getting it up and running. But, it looks like it's
mostly working now.
In the bad news department, my elderly dog freaked out with the roofers
hammering and thumping around ( it was like living in a drumset for a couple
of days) and I spent hours trying to find him ( you wouldn't believe how
small a space a dog can get into!) . In the good news department, I found

In the bad news department, the hammering/.thumping cause the old drain pipe
under the sink to break. In the good news department, well, I guess the good
news is that I had spare towels.

In the bad news department, I cracked my toe moving the computer stuff
around. In the good news department, it was only one toe and it's still warm
enough to wear sandals.

In the bad news department, there's a dead rodent in the wall between the
utility room and the kitchen. In the good news department, it's a dead

It's been quite a week, but as I've gathered things for the people who lost
all to the hurricane, I know I'm truly blessed.

d - (Heading back out to water. Would you believe it? After more than 2 feet
of rain in the summer, we're dry as a bone. Even the trees are wilting. I
suppose part of that is that they put on a lot of surface roots in order to
survive the flooding, and a lot of leaves because they could. We're having
lots of leaf drop now. )