Re: FGCNYS meeting/bell

Here's my guess. My grandparents would turn thier horses & cows out in
unfenced national forest  property in the summer. To find them & move them
to greener pastures, we'd drive to the top of an open ridge & listen. If
they were within  several miles, you could hear the bells that some of the
cows & the "bell mare" were wearing. After knocking around each bell had a
distinctive sound. If you're a long way from home with out a bell, you'd be
a lot harder to find than if properly belled
"a long way