Re: Weather update

TD 18 is now Rita. Maybe a meter maid; maybe not.

On Sep 18, 2005, at 2:38 PM, james singer wrote:

This past week has sure been one of crappy weather. Hot and hazy. I guess it's tropical depression 18 [can you believe it? TD 18! but of course there's no proof of tropical warming, spake the Great God Exxon-Mobile, and all the rapacious oil and coal companies and their political toadies nodded and said "Amen"].

Daylight savings doesn't help. The sun doesn't come up these days until nearly 7:20 AM, then the haze keeps it in a kind of superheated twilight until mid-afternoon.

Have to say, however, that Ms. Fatma's Caribbean Red papaya seems to like this weather. It now has seven fruits in various stages of development and more setting daily. This is an amazing tree. It was less than a foot tall when we planted it in late spring; it's now at least 6 feet tall and flowering and fruiting like mad. Makes me wonder if it couldn't be grown as an annual in a few zones north of here. Maybe Holli, even, could add one to her tropical garden; it's also an attractive tropical plant.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10