More weather

We're in no danger of hurricanes around southern California, but I did wake
up very early this morning to thunder and lightning, and it poured rain
almost all the way into work. That's a bit odd this time of year. This
entire year has been weird in the amount of water we've gotten, from the
complete soaking over the winter to having summer thunderstorms from June
It's a great time of year to plant here but I haven't done anything except
clean out one of the borders around the front of the house. I was expecting
that when the garden harvest started to shut down I would have some free
time to do more outside, but it hasn't worked so far. My husband and I sold
a rental house we owned and bought another one, closer to home, and not only
did the whole thing take months longer than we expected but it turns out the
new house needs a lot more work than we thought. Our weekends for at least
another month will be painting, tiling, and repairing over there and
neglecting our own place. It's just irritating - we spent so much time
getting our old rental into move-in condition and then, after all the
furniture and such has been removed from the new one, discover the last
owners were total pigs. Well, live and learn. But my list of jobs at home is
just getting longer and longer.
I did manage to order some bulbs, thankfully they haven't shown up yet. I
hope I can find the pictures from last spring that show where they should
go. Narcissus are so reliable here, so tempting and so easy, I'm slowly
filling every cultivated space with bulbs, although so far I've resisted
adding any to the psuedo-Japanese garden.