Re: Rita.....needing to vent.

My experience, Noreen, is limited to the only hurricane I was ever in--in 1952 or 53--and what I've seen from Charley, which was a powerful but narrowly constrained storm. Speaking about the wind, the main thing, I think, is that stuff close to the ground doesn't move much. The farther up you go, the greater the wind influence. So minimize potential missiles; take everything down [hanging baskets, wind chimes, doo-dads] that could become airborne and put them on the ground.

Plants are you best protection from wind damage. Check the satellites and the local radar [http://snipurl.com/hur5] and figure where the wind will be coming from. Remember these babies rotate counter clockwise, so your initial impact is going to be on the southeast. If you have shrubs, hedges, trees on that angle, you may be sufficiently protected. If you don't, try to block those windows from flying debris.

Landfall should be sufficiently west of you to keep you on the good side of the storm--minimal worry about storm surge and flooding and such; any damage will likely be from wind and rain. Hope you have batteries and a radio and water. I've got my fingers crossed.