Re: Rita update

Noreen and Pam, so glad you are both OK and very interesting to hear the on-site reports of Rita.
--Barb, California
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, September 24, 2005 10:39 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Rita update

Are you kidding?? They ALL send correspondents down to storm areas. Weather
channel had one in every town and city around here, every station had
someone down in Galveston at the San Luis hotel....only supposedly safe place on
the island. The local reporter was standing on the Strand and said the power
was out although you can't really tell right now, area was all lit up, the
camera man panned down the road and you could see tons of reporters broadcasting
with bright lights shining on them.....LOL was like daylight. Weather
channel is famous for having their guys out in the actual hurricane as it is
coming ashore, they can barely stand up, nor speak....but they are broadcasting.
Really nutty......but anything for ratings, I suppose.

Still VERY windy here. We still have a shelter in place set up since it is
too dangerous to go out. Yes, Dh is fine....just proved why they say stay
inside. People are starting to drive back on the freeways from Dallas and
points west....despite being told to stay away. FEMA and National Guard convoys
are trying to get through and are getting stuck in traffic. The evacuees
don't realize that once they get here, many towns and streets into areas are
closed, not letting people back until it is safe. Power lines down, water
contaminated, roads blocked by trees, etc. Most gas stations are closed, stores
closed, etc. Seems as if the logistics is more of a nightmare than the storm
itself was.

Have lots of friends that live in Beaumont, Port Charles areas, haven't
heard from them yet.
Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 9/24/2005 11:02:38 AM Central Standard Time,