Re: SL trip> Asarum

Kitty, I would not have the combination together that you have..... I feel Aconitum would do a bit better with some light, the ginger would do better with pretty heavy shade.. not the north side of a pine tree, but pretty decent shade.
You are describing hot dry weather if monkshood dropped the bottom leaves. Same with the Cimicifuga Hillside Black Beauty. Our drought and night time temps probably brought that on. Careful about watering heavily after a drought on the monkshood... can cause a mold problem that will rot the crown, kill off the stand.
you can cut the leaves off, but you probably will not get new growth now until early spring. If you can... give it a spot with lots of leaf mold dug in so that it is well drained and a bit on the rich side. Keep mulched lightly. What is your pH? Can you give the ginger a bit of neutral to acidic soil.....
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

----- Original Message ----- From: <kmrsy@netzero.com>
NO, I'm more neglectful than over-attentive. It was next to an Aconitum
(I got both from you a few years ago.). Both were looking good and then
this turn for the worse. The Monkshood has gone from one original stalk
to 4 stalks now. but they've lost most of their leaves - turned
grey-black, dried. The stems, though are still turgid, which is why it
doesn't seem to be a lack of water. Since both plants experienced
problems, I wondered if it might be fungal. In front of them is an Actea
"Hillside Black Beauty'. It, too, has lost bottom leaves, but is
blooming now. The saddest case is that beautiful ginger though. It is
still droopy in it's container. If I removed the leaves would they
resprout? or should I just wait and see what happens next year?