To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, September 03, 2006 7:10 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] peony seeds

The "trick" to sowing peony seeds is to simply sow at the right time. They need to be sown warm, go through cold, and come back to warm to put something green above the soil line. Sow out of sequence and the generally will refuse to germinate until the cycles come back around in proper sequence. So, about now is the time.... oh, and rodents love the seed, so they do need protection.
Peonies take time...... time to germinate, time to grow on to maturity and bloom, time to bulk up ..... about 5 years for first bloom form seed.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

I have a small amount of Paeonia obovata seed (plant needs to be moved to better location)glowing vibrant red and blue as they mature on the plant. Also a lot of seed on Paeonia japonica (in good location) that look like red teeth. It's my understanding that these shade-loving peony seeds are best sown when fresh and might need GA-3 to improve germination.

If anyone want some seed, please let me know.

BTW - I orderd 2 more species peonies from Gene today. I've always wanted Molly-the-witch, Paeonia mlokosewitschii, and more recently have wished for Paeonia veitchii. I'll be installing them this fall.

neIN, Zone 5