RE: A washingtonpost.com article from: islandjim1@verIzon.net

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: RE: [CHAT] A washingtonpost.com article from: islandjim1@verIzon.net
  • From: "Bonnie Holmes" holmesbm@usit.net
  • Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 09:58:26 -0400

Great article.  Cultural history always has a pull for me.  (For those
interested in mid-western, western life, Pioneer Woman is full of great
tid-bits, such as what you do when your sod house leaks.)  There were
times, especially during the Cold War when I wondered how long I could
sustain myself on my little bit of property.  Each time we have a serious
black out in this area (usually after major ice storm), the people who get
along best are those older folks who were raised on farms before
electricity.  I wonder if the commune popularity during the late 60s and
70s were an attempt to mirror sustainability.  Ah, you can see that I am in
a reflexive mood this a.m.