RE: A washingtonpost.com article from: islandjim1@verIzon.net

Some time ago I watched a few of the PBS programs like "Colonial House"
and "Pioneer House" and I was thinking, I could do better than those
people did, they spent half their time griping about things instead of
working. But I suppose there's got to be conflict or viewers don't
watch. It does get you thinking about what you really would need to live
on.
I was interested in the comments about self-sufficiency in the
Washington Post article. I used to read a homesteading magazine and
there was always one person writing in, ranting about how every family
should have an acre and they could be self-sufficient, the world would
be so much better. Maybe my definition is different because I think
there are very few places in the world you could truly be
self-sufficient, and your life would be primitive.  Where do you get
salt or sugar to preserve your food, where do you get tools, how do you
transport heavy items, what happens if your water dries up? What happens
if you get sick? There's reasons that humans gather together in
communities, life is easier with others to share the work. That was true
even when they lived in caves.
Anyone reading my posts know we eat a lot of what we grow ourselves from
my garden and the sheep and chickens we raise. I don't have any fancies
that we are self-sufficient. In a different climate much of what I do
would be easier of course; we could graze the sheep instead of buying
hay, we could have our own water source, it would be easier to store
things like onions or potatoes - or depending on the climate, things
would grow year-round. But to live without reliance on anything other
than ourselves? Not likely.

Cyndi