From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2006 11:38 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: RE: [CHAT] A washingtonpost.com article from:
islandjim1@verIzon.net

Some time ago I watched a few of the PBS programs like "Colonial House"
and "Pioneer House" and I was thinking, I could do better than those people
did, they spent half their time griping about things instead of working. But
I suppose there's got to be conflict or viewers don't watch. It does get you
thinking about what you really would need to live on.
I was interested in the comments about self-sufficiency in the Washington
Post article. I used to read a homesteading magazine and there was always
one person writing in, ranting about how every family should have an acre
and they could be self-sufficient, the world would be so much better. Maybe
my definition is different because I think there are very few places in the
world you could truly be self-sufficient, and your life would be primitive.
Where do you get salt or sugar to preserve your food, where do you get
tools, how do you transport heavy items, what happens if your water dries
up? What happens if you get sick? There's reasons that humans gather
together in communities, life is easier with others to share the work. That
was true even when they lived in caves.
Anyone reading my posts know we eat a lot of what we grow ourselves from my
garden and the sheep and chickens we raise. I don't have any fancies that we
are self-sufficient. In a different climate much of what I do would be
easier of course; we could graze the sheep instead of buying hay, we could
have our own water source, it would be easier to store things like onions or
potatoes - or depending on the climate, things would grow year-round. But to
live without reliance on anything other than ourselves? Not likely.

Cyndi