From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Kitty
Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2006 9:18 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] 'Sum and Substance?'

Like most hosta starts that arrive with maybe 3 eyes, S&S fills out in a few
years and looks better undivided for a long time unless competition from
tree roots reduces its vigor.  But even healthy hosta enjoy division.  Yes,
a freshly divided plant may look thin, even with big leaves - especially
with big leaves! - but give them those few years to catch up and all the
divisions will be glorious.  Actually, your divisions may catch up faster
than your original 3 eye purchase if your divisions are more generous than
that.  I got 11 pots of various sizes, 1 to 3 gallon from my S&S.  Those 3
gallon pots will look fine next year and full the year after that.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5