Re: Alzheimers and garden plants

And so do I, bless them.

On Sep 29, 2006, at 7:05 PM, Theresa W. wrote:

Well- today I've learned a very important lesson that I thought I'd share with you all- since it might apply to others now or in the future. In spring I sent my mom a bunch of plants from High Country gardens. She has always been an avid gardener and so I knew she'd like some new perennials. Mistake #1- I sent her too many things (like 8)- when she got them she couldn't keep straight what was what and where to plant them. I finally got her to just plant them in any space she had in her garden beds. Since I'm not in TX with her, I have no idea where they ended up- but at least they got into the ground. I'm going down there next month- so I'll get to really see then.
Mistake #2- I sent her perennials. I realized today that this was a mistake- as a few things apparently are dying back for fall- so she happily told me she cleaned out her gardens and PULLED UP the things that weren't blooming anymore. I about died when she said this!! Of course, I didn't let her know I was horrified- but I will only send her annuals from now on. This didn't even dawn on me- as in the past she certainly would have know what to do with which kinds of plants and when. Ugh.

The irony of this is- tomorrow is Alzheimer's Walk day. Local and regional chapters and members sign up and raise funds doing this. My sister and her kids (and my mom with them) are doing the Austin Walk tomorrow. I hope they have good weather.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10