Re: still having technical difficulty

Yep.  A decade or so the policy at Home Depot (and other box stores)  was to
at least have one experienced, licensed person, in each department.
Sometimes these were semi-retired plumbers, electricians, etc.  The rest of  the work
staff in that dept. would be sent to "Home Depot college of....." to  learn
about basics of that dept. and the items offered.  Competition and  decline in
economy,  plus more than likely serious greed, forced the head  offices to cut
back the higher paid experienced people to one per  department.  In past
couple years they have gotten rid of every one of  these professionals......and
replacing them with young, inexperienced, lower  paid people.  Used to be one
experienced department head per department,  now a dept. manager might have two
or three departments, and only a couple  workers.  They are seriously
understaffed, and what staff they do have is  very inexperienced in anything.  I truly
do not undersand the logic in this  at all.   Makes no sense, since Home
Depot's business picked up when  Lowes (thier major competition here) began
replacing experienced with  inexperienced workers.

Many years ago, in San Antonio, there was an older man on the radio  every
week for an hour answering hardware and repair questions.  He is the  owner of a
local hardware store.  After several box type stores moved into  SA, the
radio station took him off the air.  This was some years  now.  Recently on a
visit to SA, I heard him on the radio again,  with his daughter, who has followed
him in business.  They were again  answering questions, with the majority
coming in from frustrated folks that  had gone to the box store and not been able
to get info.  These folks were  willing to pay more at the Ma & Pop store for
the items, just to  get info.
Perhaps this is a good thing.

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 9/29/2006 8:35:52 PM Central Standard Time,