From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Donna
Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2006 12:49 PM
To: gardenchat list
Subject: [CHAT] grapes- eatable ones

Anyone know of a good eating variety of grapes that grows in zone 5?
Next spring, I would like to replace the ornamental grape vine on the fence
with something that would bare fruit. Suggestions?

A few years ago I planted Vitis coignetiae- I was supposed to get a fall
color change and be wonderful... HA!.... it is taking over it's space and
drowning out everything around. I could prune in the spring and make it
managable, but it goes from green to brown to dead leaves... no fall color
here ever! How disappointing. Decided that I don't have enough room for
plants that can't live up to their expectations... so it is out of here in
the spring.

Donna