Re: Chat chat

So, will he ship grafted trees back to you later or was this just for him to do in Mexico? Sorry about the rain. Wish I could send mine to you. I feel positively moldy. And yes, the orchids do much better in trees than in pots I'm sure, but since I don't have that option I have to suck it up try to keep them alive in pots. I did discover that they seem to bloom more if I leave them out until it starts to really get cold for them, and put them out earlier in the spring when the nights are still in the high 40's. Particularly the Phaleonopsis. Denrobiums seemed to appreciate it too. ----- Original Message ----- From: "james singer" <islandjim1@verizon.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, September 02, 2007 9:52 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Chat chat

Well... let's see. I'm fine. In early August, I sent scion wood for two varieties of mango to a friend in Mexico, and I heard yesterday that it finally arrived in good condition and with enough viable buds to allow him to graft a dozen trees of each. So that's a plus. But we still need rain--fronts either go north of us or south of us, and we don't get enough to wet the bottom of the rain gauge. And it's been like that all summer, so everyday we spend a lot of time dragging hoses and cursing the weather gods. We've got one orchid in full bloom and two more sporting bloom spikes--and two more plants that I need to tie into trees somewhere so they can get on with a renewed life. They seem to do much better in trees than in pots.