Re: OT wildlife

I could never kill anything just because it inconvenienced me. I think I'm getting more radical in that way as I get older, or maybe it's because I meet so many people whose first reaction is to kill something because they don't want to deal with it. A lot of animal problems here anyway are the result of development without regard to anything but making money and people moving to the "country" without realizing that it's not the city. I should probably just keep my thoughts to myself.
zem
----- Original Message ----- From: "Judy Browning" <judylee@lewiston.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2007 10:11 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] OT wildlife

The skunks venture out at night. If you look you can see little narrow trails where they walk. Obtain a SMALL live trap. Bait it with dry cat food and peanut butter and place across one of their trails. It's importanat to get a small trap so he/she can't lift tail & spray in the trap. If you are tender hearted find a place to release them. A long string attached to the release works. It may take him/her a few minutes to realize the trap is open & leave. This went well for us until one pooped & peed enroute. Almost as stinky as the spray.
Repeat this process until you haven't caught a skunk for several nights.
When we kept bees, skunks would scratch on a hive to rouse the bees, then eat them as they came out to defend. Probably why a lot of beekeepers put their hive boxes up on a stand. We rented the trap from local fish & game. They showed Ed how to set & bait the trap. They recommend drowning the skunk in the trap by dropping the whole thing into a garbage can full of water. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jesse Bell" <silverhawk@flash.net>