Re: OT - shopping note

I have seen some salmon in our stores which is described as caught off our Pacific coast, but processed in China. I suspect the Pacific salmon was caught off our shores by Chinese vessels, during its ocean going life phase. Technically, the salmon could be labeled "American". The best salmon is river caught, I think.
Cathy
On Sep 9, 2007, at 7:38 PM, Andrea Hodges wrote:

Got me-I can't say I'm surprised. I hate Salmon so I would never think to look at a package of it. Maybe it was caught by American fisherman of the coast of China.......;-)
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, September 09, 2007 6:13 PM
Subject: [CHAT] OT - shopping note

Is it my imagination or did I read recently a warning about seafood
imported from Asia, or China, which had excessive levels of toxic
chemicals?   This week the local A&P has a freezer case set in the
middle of a central aisle with big "special" signs.  The bin contains
packages of various seafood, most specifically salmon.  All the
plastic packages are emblazoned with an American flag and the
words "Great American Seafood."  The salmon is large fillets - looks
like three to a package - says 2 1/2 pounds - for $12.00, which is
very cheap.  On the back of the package in small letters are the
words "Product of China."  What am I missing?
Auralie