A nothing weekend

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: A nothing weekend
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 09:35:03 -0700

I did nothing in the garden this weekend, a big zip, zilch, nada. I
didn't do much of anything else either. We did some errands Saturday
morning and I started to feel a bit off, like I'm coming down with a
cold. It hasn't actually turned into one but I feel listless enough that
nothing got done. I have a little cough too, just good enough that no
one wants to talk to me.
I did pick a basket of the (alleged) pimento peppers. I cored and
stuffed them with a rice mixture for a side dish with dinner. What a
pain, they are just not big enough to be worth all that work. Plus some
of them are hot, some aren't...well, since the seed company denied they
were real pimentos who knows what I've got. At any rate dealing with all
those little peppers is just too annoying, I don't think I'll pick any
more of them. When I turn the chickens out into the garden next month
they will clean it all up.  Too bad. Maybe when I'm back to normal I'll
think again but right now I just don't want to deal with them.
My basil is starting to get some nice leaves on it again, those will be
worth picking, and we have some green tomatoes coming up. The front yard
is even more of a disaster, not surprising since we have done nothing to
it all summer. I think a bulldozer is probably the right idea.
Speaking of which a new house down the street is putting in their
landscaping. I will be interested to see what it looks like when they
are done. There are a lot of good-sized rocks. Most landscapes using
rocks have them grouped into clumps, but here they are evenly spotted
over the entire front yard each with a plant right next to it (looks
like society garlic to me) and I saw a truck with lots more different
plants. At any rate right now it looks pretty bizarre with the rocks
dotted about like a checkerboard and, oh my, all that society garlic,
the place is going to reek. If that's what it is anyway, I should walk
by instead of driving and take a closer look.