Re: OT - shopping note

Yeah... I think the country of origin statement applies only to the last link in the manufacturing process. That is, I don't think they have to indicate in pet food contents that the wheat gluten or the chicken snouts came from China or anywhere else. I remember years ago that some cassette makers used to label their products "assembled in Mexico from components made in America," as though Mexico was somewhere other than America. But I suppose it satisfied their marketing directors, by jingo!

Be interesting to see what the current "summit" of US Product Safety folks and Chinese bureaucrats comes up with [in addition, that is, to their announced intent to set stiffer fireworks and cigarette lighter standards].

On Sep 10, 2007, at 12:13 PM, Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:

Yeah...how's that working, anyway? I would think you'd spend an awful
lot of time shopping around.

Cyndi

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Pam Evans
Sent: Sunday, September 09, 2007 7:13 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] OT - shopping note

There have been problems w/ Chinese seafood, toys, pet food and a myriad
of other items lately.  I don't buy anything from China anymore.

Not sure about the warning notice, there have been so many lately.

But it is
not uncommon for anything packaged or assembled with part from foreign

countrys to paste some type of careful wording leading you to believe
it was totally from the US.

Donna