To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 9:39 AM
Subject: [CHAT] Re:Cats and Chicks..

Raja has been sitting by my newly hatched chicks every day that I've had
them in the house.  They are safe, in a big plastic storage box with a lid
that has holes cut in it.  I have a heat lamp in there - BUT - you can
sort of see the chicks walking around inside the box because of the light
shining on it, and Raja sits there, with HUGE eyes, and stares at the box.
I take the lid off to change the food, water and wood shavings, and to
play with the little cuties..and Raja sneaks her head over the edge and
looks at them, then looks at me like "can I have 'em?" and I say, "NO
Raja - not yours" and she sits back down, looking very put out.  But she
knows when I say "not yours" that she has to leave them alone. But she
really, really wants them.  I love those silly chicks.  Because I've had
them since day 1 or 2 and handle them all the time, they just sit in my
hand and fall asleep.  We had a new one hatch yesterday and I left it
under the mother for the first day.  They do
better that way.  I think I'll have 2-3 more before it's all over.  It is
so amazing to watch this whole process.  Very cool.