Re: Re:Cats and Chicks..

Jesse and Jim,

I can't find the original plans after all - I guess I gave away the magazine, but it's all based on using standard lumber, if I recall. The ends are 2'x 2' plywood. The bottom and sides are 2'x4' plywood. The frame is of the same dimensions, made of 2"x2".

One half of the top is covered in half-inch hardware cloth. The other half of the top is 2'x2' plywood. The screened part is hinged.

The solid half has a cut-out to allow hanging a heat lamp. The lamp is completely inside the brooder. The hanging loop is ingeniously held by a square of 1"x1" and 2 nails. There's a small piece of plywood (about 2' x 6") that acts as a curtain between the two sections, and I usually hang a cloth (part of an old pillowcase or something) that goes nearly to the litter to keep the heat in for the chicks. That way they can run into the enclosed part to keep warm, or run out into the more open area for exercise.

Dad cut some viewing windows - about 6x9" into the solid part, and used some leftover acrylic stuff for windows. They're each attached with one screw so that I can swing them aside and tend to the chicks or ventilate slightly if necessary. I hang the thermometer there, too.

I used an old broom handle to make a roost in the screen-top area. The chicks are usually roosting on it by the time they're a couple of weeks old. It's a lot of fun to see them learning to perch there, and it keeps them from snoozing on their water jug and pooping into it.

It does a box (25) of chicks for 2 weeks, a dozen chicks for about 4, and half a dozen for 6 weeks, no problem. I think that this year the 8 chicks were in the brooder box for 6 weeks, maybe 8, but I don't remember exactly. We were in the worst of the tainted dog food care then.

Jim, the way the box works provides a natural flue to release moisture and maintain ventilation. I think that for cheese drying purposes, they recommended a 15 watt bulb.

The original plans called for attaching rope handles at either end, but we didn't.

Jesse, don't beat yourself up for forgetting to close the door. You may have closed it most of the way and Raja opened it. Diesel does - he's delaminated the door from the kitchen into the utility room by hooking his nails into the wood to do so. And sometimes we have to accept that as much as we want all creatures to get along, nature sometimes outwits nurture.