Ah, September

  • To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
  • Subject: Ah, September
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 12:49:48 -0700

Yet another weekend where I did nothing in the garden, but NEXT weekend
should be more productive there. Isn't fall weather nice? It's still a
little early to say it's really fall, but it's not so hot now and we are
getting cool mornings. I even wore a light jacket to work today.
I've been fighting off this cold for over a week now but at least it's
starting to fade. Despite it, we did spend the weekend with our horses
up in the mountains.  Saturday we volunteered at the "fish festival",
some youth groups bring in a bunch of "disadvantaged" kids and they get
to go fishing at the forest lake and have a big hot dog feed. That was
fine, very nice polite kids. Sunday we took a ride and finally went down
a trail my sister called "Kneeknocker", well named since you spend about
a mile carefully threading your horse into narrow gaps between trees. We
did great, it was beautiful in there, pines and oaks and flowing water,
even saw some wildflowers. Going back up was exciting since the horses,
knowing they were headed home, wanted to take the trail at speed but I
do have both knees in the same condition they started.  And a huge fire
started that Friday about 30 miles north, we saw the smoke, then every
relative of every volunteer there started calling to make sure we were
all alive. But it was a long ways from us.
Last night our kittens discovered that they can turn on the clock radio
in the bedroom by walking on the buttons. I'm not entirely certain it
was accidental either.  The friendliest of them has decided that
sleeping on my neck is a good thing, and when she wants to play she only
has to bite me on the chin. We are working on that.
I'll have to make myself a small gardening list for next weekend,
something reasonable so I don't get discouraged, but I really need to do
something out front to make myself feel better. It's such a disaster now
I can't actually think of any smallish jobs but if I could just start
clearing everything out of one little area that would help.  At least
the dry garden looks good, and the teahouse garden is acceptable; a lot
of plants died in there due to a couple problems, so it's kinda empty,
but it's not full of weeds either.

Cyndi