From: "Jesse Bell"
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2007 9:30 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re:Cats and Chicks..

Really? Yes, I'd be interested in seeing the magazine or online catalog
for your chicken brooder. Last night we went and bought a galvanized
steel water trough (small and lower to the ground - small sheep or goat
size) and transferred the chicks into that. I have 10 of them now and
the
box was just too small. I let my guard down for 5 minutes while I went
outside to dump the old shavings into the compost pile and when I came
BACK, RAJA was sitting INSIDE the trough, with the chicks, staring at
them. Poor little chicks were all huddled at one end, scared to DEATH. I
yelled "RAJA!!!! - NOT YOURS!!! AGHHHHHHHH" and went after her...she
scampered out of there and I didn't see her for the rest of the night. I
was so lucky. Can't believe I forgot to close the laundry room door
behind me.

Daryl
wrote:
My chick brooder has a screen top on one end, and wood with some small
plexi
windows on the end with the heat lamp. Diesel loved to spend the day
watching the chicks and enjoying the extra warmth.

I was glad the chicks got big enough for Diesel to leave them alone. He
was
good when I was out there with him, but considering the lust in his
eyes,
and what he did to a wren that got onto the screened porch, I think that
he
would have made lunch out of them given the chance. It was a very
well-traveled wren before he dropped it in the dining room and I was
able
get it out from underneath the furniture. Don't want to do that again!

BTW - the plans for my brooder came from Countryside and Small Stock
Journal
and it can double as a cheese dryer, if you're interested. I can raise
half
a dozen chicks to 6 weeks w/ no problem.