carex help

I have a favorite Carex called C. conica 'Marginata' aka 'Variegagta'. The first one I bought about 4-5 yrs ago filled out, looked good, so I bought another last year. The new one filled out quickly and really thrived, making the first one look a bit puny - but only by comparison. I dug up the old one, thinking I'd divide it and try the pieces elsewhere.

Has anyone here tried to divide a Carex? It's a tight little crown; nothing to do but cut through it. When I did, much of it fell apart. I potted 3 pieces that survived intact but wondered about the fallout. There were many little bundles held together by sheaths. No sign of roots. Any chance these can be salvaged?

Yes, I should have looked this up before tackling it, but...I was in the mood. Anyone have any experience with this?

neIN, Zone 5