Re: Where is everyone? Outside?

Donna, I think it's because we are feeding them too well.  Every doe
has twins these days.  There has been new building near us, but
we are a pretty wooded area with 1 acre zoning and the Blue Mountain
Reservation surrounds our cul-de-sac.  These deer aren't starving -
theyre very well fed and very tame.  As for control, any time that
is mentioned people start being sentimental about Bambi.  After
all Westchester County is mostly urban and closely suburban.
As for fencing, our land is almost impossible to fence.  We are
on a fairly steep hillside with large boulders on either side of the
house.  One neighbor at the end of the road has tried, but has
found that it doesn't work.  For all the years we have been here,
I have coped by planting things they don't like, or only nibble at.
This year they have eaten everything, including things they had
never touched before like Rue (Ruta graveolens) and Artemisias
'Powis Castle' and 'Silver King.'  And a whole patch of Monarda
that they had never touched before, to say nothing of the peony
foliage.  It's really discouraging.
Auralie

In a message dated 09/23/2007 6:29:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,