Re: Where is everyone? Outside?

A few years ago, we picked up an inexpensive food dryer from freecycle. American Harvest "Snack Master." It works well, except the racks are not very deep, which limits what will fit in it. So instead of drying whole poblano peppers, we dry pieces of poblano peppers.

Anyway, for the lemongrass, we just cut it with scissors into 1-2 inch pieces and dry it. We haven't done anything with it yet, but the original idea was to make tea from it. But now I want to get enough dried so I can pulverize some in the spice mill and see if it holds its flavor well enough to be used in cooking.

On Sep 23, 2007, at 11:38 PM, Patricia wrote:

Jim,
How do you dry your lemongrass and what do you do with it? I have grown it for years and keep overwintering in my greenhouse. I have a really large clump this year.
thank you,
Tricia
zone 6b

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2007 6:25 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Where is everyone? Outside?

Merry equinox! Hope your URI is better. Ms Fatma usually gets one that coincides with the start of the school year.

Not much happening here. We've been entertaining a tropical depression for a few days, which has provided about 6 inches of rain thus far with more promised for today. Between showers, we've been picking avocados, starfruit, key limes, and various peppers. Just as soon as it dries out a little, I want to get a bunch of lemongrass into the drier, but it's just too wet to fool with right now.