To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2007 9:39 AM
Subject: [CHAT] Requiem for a lemon tree

I killed my lemon tree. This was #3 in my quest to have my own lemons
and I've failed again. I'm not entirely certain what happened to it this
time. I had decided not to move its pot out into the veggie garden area
because last year squirrels bit off the lemons. So I moved it into the
front yard, where I have a little hose attached to the sprinklers that
could water it directly and I could just leave it. Well we were pretty
busy this summer, the front garden is totally overgrown, and because it
wasn't directly in my path every day I only took a look at it now and
again. It wasn't exactly thriving but I was so busy I kept telling
myself I would move it in a few days, didn't have time right now. Last
time I saw it was really waterlogged so I moved the little irrigation
hose away from it figuring the regular sprinklers would keep it moist
enough but let it dry out some. Saturday I looked and it's dead. So I
don't know if it was too much water, or whether I moved the hose just
before that awful heat wave we had around Labor Day and it didn't get
any water at all.
I'm not sure if I'll try it again. I keep remembering the Meyer lemons
from the dwarf tree my mom had and how good they were. But it's been
YEARS and I haven't managed one lemon, not one. Hmmm.

Cyndi