From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 9:02 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] How to enforce water rationing

I hate stuff like that--and have always been paranoid about it
happening, so I've tended of overbuild all my irrigation systems,
adding multiple shut offs, many redundant, and diversion routes. More
than once my efforts have brought a smile to the face of a friend who
is an irrigation contractor. But we're on a well and I find the
prospect of completely shutting down the water supply scary.

On Sep 26, 2007, at 9:58 AM, Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT wrote:

> I got home last night to discover a lake in the front yard. Seems the
> sprinklers had been on all day. We have everything on controllers so I
> went and turned off the electronic box. No effect. I went and fiddled
> with all the various fiddly things on the valves. No effect. I sloshed
> through the lake looking for other valves, thinking maybe I had the
> wrong ones...no luck. I call husband, who's in D.C. this week - his
> phone is turned off. I figure I can turn it off at the street until I
> hear from husband, but that's a weird valve and I couldn't figure out
> how to move it. Great.
> So I call the water company, my neighborhood has a private water
> and husband is actually on the water board. They are quite cheerful
> about coming over and obviously think I'm some ignorant female who
> can't
> figure it out, that's okay with me, just get here. And so in about
> an hour (the lake is spreading) the guy shows up. We spend another
> hour fiddling with valves and sloshing through the lake before he
> admits
> defeat - the one sprinkler valve is broken beyond repair and the only
> way to stop the water is to shut it off at the street. Unsurprisingly
> we
> have a tool to do this in our garage, I just didn't recognize it.
> I considered packing up and taking my morning shower here at the gym
> work, but decided it was easier just to turn the water back on,
> sprinklers included, for the time it takes me to get ready and turn it
> off when I leave. After all I'm out there bleary-eyed and unwashed
> feeding the livestock at 4 am anyway.  I still haven't heard from
> husband and I decided to leave the sprinkler repair for him, I can
> with this for a couple days, serves him right for being out of town.
> However the yard is so saturated that 30 minutes of water this morning
> re-filled the lake. I'm hoping for warm weather to dry things out a
> tiny
> bit because when I get home I have to turn it back on for long enough
> water the horses and sheep. Then I think I'll go out to dinner - I
> can't
> cook without water, right? Too bad. :-)
> Cyndi
Island Jim