Re: checking in / happy fall!

I spent today cleaning the crabgrass and other grassy weeds out of
one of two perennial beds. Resigned myself to almost completely
redoing it  because of the amount of digging necessary to remove the
undesirables. Saved seeds from my Silene regiae because I am also
spreading Preen. Transplanted two clumps of Alma Potschke aster.
Hauled three wheelbarrows full to the burn pile. Planted 3 Kniphofia
'Red Flamingo', 5 Echinacea 'Rubinstern', and one Louisiana iris
'Joie de Vivre'. Now off to downtown Chicago to attend a non plant
related :>( meeting. The fare on Amtrak will be the least expensive
part of the three days.

Cathy, west central IL, z5b