To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, September 01, 2008 3:13 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Way OT

You also might try dish detergent.  Bleach works but is unsafe in a small
bathroom. I've included info from some websites that might help long term.
One of them recommends vinegar with essential oils and vinegar with borax.

Control Bathroom Mold & Mildew Without The Use of Toxic Cleaners

From Rebecca Reynolds, President of Green Clean, Inc.

The strongest defense against mold and mildew is prevention.  In fact, it
is the strongest defense against any cleaning issue.

In the case of mold and mildew in your bathroom, please consider doing the

Wipe down the shower walls and any moist area with a dry towel after each
shower. You can use a squeegee too, but the result must be a dry wall and
shower area.

Don't leave that wet towel used from drying, any wet washcloths, or any wet
towels at all for that matter in the bathroom. This may sound strange but
it is the wet towels and cloths that trap the most moisture in the bathroom
and create a mini terrarium for bacteria and mold to grow. Taking the wet
towels out of the bathroom helps reduce the moisture greatly. You can hang
them out to dry or in a particularly dry room.

Make sure you use the exhaust fan for a minimum of a half hour after each
shower. Moisture droplets linger in the bathroom for some time and removing
them will reduce many issues from mold to wallpaper lifting. While you are
at it, make sure your fan is properly vented to the outside and NOT to the
attic. Many home owners have had serious mold issues in their home due to
faulty fan installation.

If you have a window in the bathroom, open this as well. The faster the
moisture leaves the better.
In winter time, close the bathroom door while running the fan or cracking
the window, then roll a towel and place under the door to avoid heat loss,
Set a timer to remember to turn the fan off, or better yet, install a timer
on your bathroom fan and instruct the entire family on how to use it.

Spray your shower with white distilled vinegar, with ten drops per spray
bottle of each of the following essential oils: Tea Tree, Lavender, Lemon,
and Oregano.

Avoid spraying on the floor to avoid possible slipping.

If you have mold in the silicone strip around your tub and shower wall,
remove the silicone with a putty knife. Clean the area with straight white
distilled vinegar, dry , and reseal.

If you have mold in your grout, make a paste of Castile Soap, and Borax.
Apply with a toothbrush and let sit for a half hour. Rinse and repeat if

Open the shade and let the light in. Natural sun light is one of the best
room cleaners God ever created.
Make weekly bathroom cleaning and daily touch ups a part of your regular
schedule. It is far better to clean as you go then to face a huge mold
issue.....and remember mold is serous stuff. When cleaning mold always were
a mask over your mouth, goggles, gloves, and if you can throw some cotton
in your ears all the better. Mold looks for ways to enter your body and an
orifice is an easy in.

Consider moving to a washable shower curtain, similar to the kind they use
in hotels. There are many Eco friendly designs out there now. Moving from
vinyl shower curtains will reduce not only the moisture in the shower since
vinyl does not breathe well and holds heat and moisture in, it will reduce
how toxic your shower is. Also, consider installing a hook, even the
suction hooks now on the market work great and do not take any handyman/
handywoman skills to install. When you are done with your shower, give the
curtain a good shake and hang off of the floor on a hook to dry. This
reduces your mold, mildew, and cleaning issues resulting in bacteria being
trapped behind the wet and soap curtain. Lastly, wash your shower curtain
weekly. Just like your towel, the curtain needs weekly washing to remove
dirt, soap, bacteria, and mold spores.

Add a shower filter to your shower head. Shower filters not only protect
your body from chlorine and other toxic chemicals in your water, they
reduce mineral build up, and allow you to rinse away soap easier both in
the shower and on your body.
Rebecca specializes in helping others solve their cleaning issues without
the use of toxic products. For more information, please visit her website,
Green Clean, Inc.

Why You Need Mold Removal In Your Bathroom
The biggest reason you have mold and mildew in your bathroom is most likely
the humidity. When you have a shower this may cause alot of humidity.

The humididty is the single biggest cause of black mold and mildew. So in
order to get rid of black mold in the bathroom, I would recommend you have
a fan that can circulate the air and keep the humidity down.

If you have a fan and still see mold growing, then you may need some air
circulation in the room. You have two options

Place a A/C vent in the bathroom (May Be Expensive)
Put dehumidifier in the bathroom
Either way you will need to circulate air into the bathroom
In many cases, you can tell you have a humidity problem by looking at the
surfaces of your walls. If they appear to sweat after about 30 minutes from
using the shower. This means you are not decreasing the humidity in the

So in summart, from the best mold removal technique to clean bathroom mold
Is get some air flow in your bathroom and try to circulate the air. Any
build up of humidity is usually going to cause a mold problem. There are
natural cleaning products that will prevent black mold from growing on your
bathroom walls.

How to kill mold in bathroom:

However, nothing is impossible under the sun and you can definitely win the battle with those small microscopic organisms. Here are few tips that would
help you control bathroom molds.

-> Keep the place dry

That should be the first point in your mold cleaning regimen. Steam and
regular use of water make bathrooms humid and damp. It is difficult to make the place dry. Use a fan; this is an easy way to dry off bathrooms. You can
also use portable dehumidifier.

Now, when you are leaving house for a couple of days, you can keep a small
window open so that air can flow in and out. However, make sure keeping the
bathroom window open is not risky from any other perspective!

-> Switch on the lights

Molds prefer dark places. So keep the lights on at least when the floors
are moist and reduce mold growth.

Though the time is for energy saving, turn a low-powered light on in your
bathrooms when you are out for long.

-> Take special care of bathtub, shower curtain and surrounding walls

Bathtub is very much likely to catch molds and mildews. It gets wet and
sustains moisture; and the buildup of organic materials makes the surface
heaven for molds and mildews.

Hence, apart from making it dry, you need to clean bathtub, bathroom
floors, shower curtains and the surrounding walls frequently.

You can use natural mold cleaning products and organic mold removers to
clean bathroom floors. These products are quite easy to use. They not only
kill mold, but stops further mold growth and removes the musty odor as
well. Organic black mold cleaners are free from side effects.