From: TeichFauna@aol.com <TeichFauna@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Elephant ears
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Wednesday, September 3, 2008, 12:30 PM

I think this would depend largely on the species or variety of  Colocasia.
The common green species Colocasia esculenta (aka  Taro) is very hardy.  The
varieties of this, such as Black Magic,  Black Princess, etc. and other more
tropical species are less hardy.

Donna do you have the "elephant ears" in the pond??? If so, then they
are
probably from the genus Colocasia.  If they are terrestrial, they are
probably

Alocasia which do not tolerate wet feet like the Colocasia do.   The Alocasia
don't seem to be as hardy as the Colocasia, and would probably have  to be
stored at warmer temps.

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 9/3/2008 12:02:16 PM Central Daylight Time,