Re: Hanna/emergency preparedness

I can identify. Until I-72 (E-W) was built there was no easy route in or out of Quincy. Now we have it, plus US 61(N-S on the Missouri side) is now 4 lanes. I get a little annoyed with the news media and the weather folks... seems like they have forgotten the old "boy who cried wolf" story.
Cathy, west-central IL, z5b
On Sep 6, 2008, at 3:50 PM, Judy Browning wrote:

If you check the Homeland security website, The info says to be prepared to "shelter in place" for up to 2 weeks. If there is an infectious outbreak of something like bird flu, they can quarrantine communities & regions. Might take that long to reestablish shipping & services to accomodate the quarrantine. My town has 1 east-west & 1 north-south hiway. Wouldn't take much to isolate us here. Back roads all loop around to the main ones not too many miles out of town. I try to keep a good supply of basics here. I wish I had more water storage, but we buy bottled water when it's on sale and keep some in each car. It's sure cheaper than buying it when we drive out of town, or take the grandkids to the park. I can't see the point of a huge tank of water. If we had to evacute, how would you move It?
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, September 06, 2008 12:16 PM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Hanna

But you never know just what a hurricane will do. I am expecting a frenzy over IKE next. Personally, thinking it has been rotating for a long time already, after landfall alot of it's punch is gonna be gone...which is bad for
cuba, but good for the US.

I believe in having basics in your house always to last couple of days. Just this spring, a sunny day with only a chance of rain turned into a tornado here
and I was without power for days...

Donna

--- On Sat, 9/6/08, Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CG/SCSRT