From: james singer <islandjim1@comcast.net>
Subject: [CHAT] Weekend
To: "Garden Chat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Date: Sunday, September 7, 2008, 6:47 PM

Today is my sister's birthday. When I asked her what she wanted for
her B-Day, she said one of the blueberries we have decided to plant.
So that's what I got her and we planted it today.

A few days ago, I picked up a box-load of purple iris rhizomes [who
knows what cultivar] on freecycle. We planted some of them today,
also. Then I extended the micro-irrigation to a new area and began
watering there so we can plant the rest of the iris and get the site
ready to add another cherry tree. It's also the area where we want to
plant the saffron crocus later this month.

Zucchini is beginning to hit its stride. We have one bush, which is
now producing 2-3 fruits a day. I think that's half a bush too many,
but what are you gonna do. Yellow straight necks--we have three
bushes, which is probably one too many--are also giving us 3-4 nice
small fruits a day.

For a slap-dash garden, it's been a good year so far, mostly because
I've learned a lot.

Island Jim
Willamette Valley
44.99 N 123.04 W