RE: Weekend

Walnuts are allelopathic, aren't they? How many trees do you have?

Cyndi

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Judy Browning
Sent: Sunday, September 07, 2008 7:11 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Weekend

Your slap dash garden sounds like it came off better than some of my
planned
ones.
The walnut trees here are a real problem. I value the shade & the nuts,
but
tomatoes don't do well at all around them and I suspect them in my
repeated
failure to grow beans & peas the last few years. If I could convince Ed
try raised beds, I think I could compost the weeds, grape & cherry
leaves to
topdress every year & eventually get some good garden soil. He stubborn
& it
doesn't feel like a fight I want, so I grow flowers & put my tomato
plant in
a pot.