Re: Happy Birthday Noreen

Keep in touch whenever possible Noreen. We'll be thinking warm dry thoughts for you.

neIN, Zone 5
----- Original Message ----- From: <TeichFauna@aol.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2008 11:00 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Happy Birthday Noreen

Thank you, Donna, and all.  I appreciate it very much.

Have never been through a major hurricane. We are still a good 10 or more hours away from the storm, storm surge or any rains......and already 90% of Galveston is flooded, many of the homes along the beach have serious damage. A huge fishing pier w/ bait shop and snackbar that we've used for fishing has already gotten totally destroyed. All the areas along the coast of Houston
and in the bay have already flooded.  This is  all prior to the storm, any
rains, or storm surge. The pictures eirely remind me of NOLA/Katrina, minus the people thank goodness. My heart just breaks for those people that evacuated
and are watching their homes  get washed into the ocean, and those inland
that are flooding now already before the storm even hits. Houston's storm drains drain into the many Bayous around, which drains into the Bay of Houston. Many areas inland are already showing signs of the Bayous filling, and the water coming up through the storm drains. People that have been here through the major hurricanes of Houston, Carla in 1961, and Alicia in 1983 say that this is similar to what they saw with the Storm, not hours before. The city of Houston and those of surrounding areas, were preparing for the worst, but now they have no idea what to expect with heavy rains and the storm surge, since
no one anticipated  all this so early on already.

I'm inland far enough not to feel the storm surge, but close enough to
definitely feel a significant impact. The track at this time shows the eye will cross directly over our county, with the city of Houston being on the dirty side. We've taken down every epiphytic orchid, bromeliad and fern that were not
totally attached to the trees.  Also took down hanging  baskets, etc. and
tried to secure the other things as much as possible. Can't board up all the windows because we have too many large plants in front of many of them, but we think they might be protected by the plants too. Can't bring everything that could be a projectile in, will be crowded enough in here, with 4 dogs, 7 cats
plus foster kittens, rabbit, and box  turtles, plus hatchlings.  Water
turtles and fish will have to fend for themselves....wouldn't be the firs time they
swam around in areas of the yard  that flooded.   Did build a temp. cage
inside for the birds in the outdoor aviary. Also got trashbags, tarps, buckets, and coolers in preparation of anything that might happen. We had water come up to, and into the house a bit with 12 inches of rain one time......the rest of the neighborhood flooded since we have Bayous all through the area. So not too sure about flooding this time, especiallly with the Bay and Bayous
already  rising.  Not sure what might happen when the rains hit.  So we'll
see....as they say, hoping for the best, but bracing for the worst.

Dh is outside grilling up my birthday dinner, bless his heart....he said the
steaks and Tuna would go bad if we were without power for any length of
time, so I might as well enjoy it now. My stomach is a bit in knots, so not sure
how much I'll enjoy it, but nonetheless it's a wonderful gesture on his
part, and it does add a bit of a bright spot to the day.....as do your wishes,
thanks.  One thing is for sure, it will be a memorable birthday.

Big hugs to you all......thanks for your thoughts and prayers!!!!
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 9/12/2008 5:09:59 AM Central Daylight Time,