Bambi strikes again

I gave up on my vegetable garden some weeks ago since everything
there had been eaten by something - probably woodchucks.  I knew
it wasn't deer because that garden is fenced.  I had been having pretty
good luck with the plantings around the house by dint of spraying every
week with Deer-Off.  I had pretty spectacular Caladiums - both red and
white - planted both in the ground among the beds of Artemisia 'Powis
Castle' and in large pots, front and back and in the breezeway. I had
slacked off on spraying things that were not in active growth, but was
careful to spray anything still showing new growth.  I noticed that the
peonies were being nibbled - deer never bothered them before and I had
not been spraying them as often because their growth period was done.
Anyway, I did an extra heavy spraying all around ten days ago. We were
away this past week for the State Garden Club Fall Conference in
Saratoga, and as soon as we pulled into the driveway I saw that some
of the red Caladiums were missing.  It was pretty late and I was pretty
tired, so told myself I would get up and spray the next morning. Of
course by next morning they had cleaned me out.  All around the house,
from front steps, breezeway, to back yard.  All the Caladiums, all the
Impatiens, of which I had large pots, even some tomatoes that had
volunteered in a bed.  The only thing they didn't eat was the 'Powis
Castle' and some Perilla frutescens that I love but most people around
here call a weed.  Thank goodness for those two things.  They even
ate a large pot of  pineapple sage and one of golden sage.  So much
for the idea that they don't like fragrant herbs.
Oh well.  I'm telling myself that I am grateful for having had nearly a
full summer and that it wouldn't have lasted much longer anyway.  It
has been in the low 40s at night for several days, so frost would have
finished them soon anyway.  Just hope I can get my tender plants
in pots in before the frost comes.
Auralie