Re: Bambi strikes again

You have had an awful time this year, animal depredation, storms, drought. I don't know how you cope so well. Glad you feel you can vent here. Wish I lived closer to offer some more substantial support. If there are missionaries from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in your area, they are called to offer service as well as teach. In my experience, they are happy to do a little yard work or heavy lifting for older folks, whether they are interested in the message or not. Just an idea.
Judy B z 6 Idaho. Fall weather here, rainy, cool.
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, September 21, 2008 11:23 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Bambi strikes again

Kitty, there's just no way to fence this property from the wild
animals.  One neighbor has tried to no effect.  Our litle cul-de-sac
of eight houses abuts an undeveloped county parkland on one
side and the AT&T power lines on the other, so we are really
surrounded with open land.  We are on a fairly steep ridge -
the address 'Rocky Ridge' is significant.  The house and garage
are nestled between two large rock outcroppings.  You can walk
off one boulder onto the roof of the garage.  The land falls away
in the rear to a small pond, of which we own half.  It would have
to be fenced also as the deer can swim around the end of a fence
that stops at the pond edge.  The small vegetable garden - about
30'x30' has an eight-foot fence that keeps deer out but not the
woodchucks and other critters. For instance, since I have stopped
vegetables this year, something has eaten down two large clumps
of comfrey within the fence. Since deer can't get in there, it must
be woodchucks.  The stems are left at about a foot - don't think
rabbits are that tall, but I have seen the chucks stand right up on
their hind legs to eat.  For many years we have enjoyed the
nature, and managed to coexist.  It is just the past two years
that they have become so terribly agressive.  I used to think I
could manage the deer problem, but I'm finding this pretty
frustrating and depressing.

In a message dated 9/21/2008 12:51:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,