james singer wrote:
I've seen some old ones that have never been pruned that are less than 20 feet, maybe 15 feet. Never seen one taller than that. Andrea can speak to messy. They're not as messy as an avocado. But I don't know how to compare evergreen trees to deciduous trees for messiness; one dribbles leaves all year, the other dumps on you all at once. Some evergreens [such as avocados] seem to grow and shed leaves at a higher rate than other evergreen trees [such as citrus]. Some evergreens, such as the black sapote, never seem to drop a leaf while their cousin, the persimmon is deciduous.

Whoa! There's a nice small tree if you like the fruit. Very productive, very pretty in fall. Grows well in Sacto area.

On Sep 22, 2008, at 1:06 PM, Theresa G. wrote:

I have a meyer lemon, and minneola tangelo already- so was trying to find a non-citrus option for variety...
How big do loquats get?? And what is messy about them?
Thanks,
Theresa

andreah wrote:
a loquat would do fine but I'd go for a dwarf citrus if it were me. Loquats get quite large eventually and they're messy IMO.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Theresa G." <macycat3@sbcglobal.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2008 12:14 AM
Subject: [CHAT] need a fruit tree idea

Ok- I was going to try to plant another apple tree, but was advised against this by master gardener friend, as we have been getting warmer and warmer and apples were marginal here in the first place. So- now I'm on the hunt for a new fruit tree. Something that stays relatively small, has yummy fruit, and wants to be in my overly warm climate. Kind of wondering is something semitropical might make it here?? Ideas?? Jim- any input? Maybe a loquat? Would an avacado grow here (or do they just get huge?)

Theresa

Island Jim
Willamette Valley
44.99 N 123.04 W