Re: hems again

This species is hardy to zone 4. I'm in 5, sometimes considered 6, so hardiness shouldn't be a problem. I'm wondering if I should pull it out and replant just as Pam described. That smidge below soil level is helpful for stability. I don't know why they would suggest 2 inches below.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2008 5:31 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] hems again

here we plant them w/ the crown just a smidge below (1/2" maybe) soil
level.  but we don't have to worry about hardiness here either.  If you
planted them 2" deep here, they'd never bloom.  My neighbor did that once,
so we dug them all up one weekend and replanted them and they started to bud
out 2 weeks later.

I always thought daylilies were easy, no-brainer plants.  But here I am
with another Hemerocallis question.  I ordered Hemerocallis multiflora
because the catalog said it was a fall bloomer.  Nice way to extend the
season.

On the bag it stated, "plant the roots so that the crown is about 2 inches below the soil line." Sounded sort of odd to me, but I figured, since it's a species, maybe it had different requirements. So I did that. (actually, I
planted it that way in a pot, not in the ground yet.)

Then I found a pamphlet in the box that says to plant at the original
depth, ascertained by the bleach mark on the foliage. (I hadn't noticed any) Then it says, "Planting too deeply stunts growth and flower development."

So, all you experts, should this Hem be planted with the crown at, below,
or well below soil level?

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5

--