Re: OT - bird drama

No starlings here (usually), but I have squirrels and chipmunks that are making real pests of themselves.
On Sep 30, 2008, at 3:39 PM, Aplfgcnys@aol.com wrote:

Starlings are a real pain. We don't have a real flock here most of the
time, but a few come whenever I hang out my peanut-butter-oatmeal
concoction for the woodpeckers.  They will finish off a whole cake of
it in a couple of hours. They don't seem to like the suet cakes we buy,
thank goodness - just my homemade ones.
However, every year about this time when the dogwood berries get ripe
a huge flock moves through. They strip the dogwoods in an hour or so - must be a hundred of them - and they poop red all over the place. What
a mess.  They came by last week. Thank goodness when the dogwood
berries are gone so are the starlings. But the dogwood berries were so
pretty for a few days.  Can't win.

Woodpeckers we have in great number, since we do feed them.  There are
a number of downies - I have seen as many as six at once - plus at least one pair of hairies and a family of red bellies - they had several young this season. The tube feeder attracts chickadees, wrens, goldfinches, purple finches, titmice, cardinals, bluejays and a few other incidentals. Any time I look out my kitchen window I can count on seeing several birds swirling
around the breezeway. We spend an inordinate amount of money on bird
food, but we do enjoy them, so tell ourselves it's not a bad extravagance.

In a message dated 9/30/2008 3:33:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,