peony qstn

  • Subject: peony qstn
  • From: "Kitty" <kmrsy@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 15:59:38 -0500

Ok, I just divided a couple of fernleaf peonies. Not too difficult but I'm glad I didn't wait another year...

Remember the game "Mother, Mother, come untangle me?"

My question is...
Peony division instructions always say to make sure each division has an eye or two or three. But, you know that any part of the root left in the ground may eventually sprout and start you over again. I've always tossed the broken tubers in the trash, not worth dealing with or betting on. But Fernleaf Peonies can be expensive and if planting/potting up the extra tubers w/out eyes might yield something of value, I'll go ahead.

BTW, these aren't mine; they are from the MG nursery. If these tubers could provide new plant material down the line, they could bring in some cash for us.

What do you think?

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5