Non blooming hydrangea

  • Subject: Non blooming hydrangea
  • From: Catharine Carpenter <cathycrc@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 21:43:27 -0500

My brother, who lives in McLean, VA has a large H. macrophylla in full sun. It has been in his yard for at least 3 years and has never bloomed, though it is large and healthy. He has threatened it with death next year if it does not bloom, and asked me what is going on. I do not particularly like this species, and do not plant it, so hope for some insights to give him to encourage bloom. He is in zone 7 and I expect that the site where the shrub is located, is protected.
Cathy, west central IL, z5b