lily aphids

  • Subject: lily aphids
  • From: "Kitty" <kmrsy@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 15:28:40 -0500

In 20 years I have never had lily aphids until now. When I finally noticed them they had completely covered my orienpet Haley's Comet - 4 of them in a clump in a somewhat offset location. They are being herded by ants, wasps, flies. I didn't want to spray the aphids for fear of damage to the wasps which I take to be beneficial insects. The leaves on these thick, six-foot stems are all streaked and mottled. My guess is a virus - and the aphids carry the virus. These were the only lilies affected but while I was deliberating how to handle it, they have now jumped to some asiatics and trumpets.

What to do? The orienpets are goners with the virus, so I suppose I should just cut them down now (sooner would have been better) and dispose of them in the trash. I sprayed the newly attacked trumpets and asiatics hoping I got them in time before the aphids spread the virus. But should I cut them to the ground also? It's early to do that to them, but it might be a way of protecting them. Let any orphaned aphids go eat someone else's lilies.

Any other suggestions?

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5