community Garden
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: community Garden
  • From: betsy <bkelson@ix.netcom.com>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 08:03:32 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

Hi Cyndi,
   I love our community garden. And I do not even mind staying and hour or two past my normal work day to tend it.
Last Year, the garden center I work for was not selling as many trees as
in past years. The 5 acres that face the main street was to be empty and
in my estimation, a prime spot for a huge weed patch. During a staff
meeting, a call went up for suggestions about what to do with the spot,
and I suggested a community garden, since many townhomes exist in the
immediate area. So it began with 80 10x10 plots.

The first year only had about 20 gardeners, but word got around and this
year we had 70 plots adpoted. Some folks only had one plot, one gardener
has 5. I try and maintain 3 of them. I was hoping to have more of my co
workers around to help, but only one of them is up there regularly.

Most of the folks grow vegetables...for themselves, neighbors, friends,
and chickens and guinea pigs. One gardener ran out of room at home for
her florist business and is growing unusal flowers(amaranth, for
instance) and crazy gourds for some of her arrangements. She even
collected carrot umbel from an unadopted plot.

betsy

.